Dr FREDERIC BEAUDOIN
Biochemist; Molecular Biologist
Plant Sciences for the Bioeconomy
Frederic is a senior scientist and project leader at Rothamsted Research. His main interests are in plant lipid metabolism and biotechnology. He has a wealth of experience in metabolic engineering of plants (oilseeds), yeast and microalgae including 15 years investigating the biosynthesis of very long chain fatty acids and their role in growth and development. Over the past 10 years, his main research projects have involved manipulating plant lipid composition to enhance human nutrition, as well as for the sustainable production of fuel, lubricants, and chemical feedstocks. More recently, he started to use high throughput lipidomic profiling and genome wide association study (GWAS) methods to identify the genetic components that control quantitative variation of traits representing biorefining opportunities in the oilseed crop, B. napus (for example, seed phytosterol and cuticular wax content and composition).
- Tailoring Plant Metabolism (TPM)
- Renewable Industrial Products from Rapeseed (RIPR)
- 1999 - PhD in Plant molecular and cell biology. University of Paris XI / University of Bristol
MEASURES OF ESTEEM
Awards & Honors:
- 2017 Honorary Asst. Professor of Plant Biotechnology, School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham.
- 2015 Rothamsted Institute Career Development Fellowship Award
- 2015 13th Euro Fed Lipid Congress, Florence, Italy. Keynote lecture. Session: Oil Seeds, Plant Breeding and Plant Lipids
- 2013 6th European Symposium on Plant Lipids, Bordeaux, France. Keynote lecture. Session: Fatty acid modification.
- 2010 19th International Symposium on Plant Lipids, Cairns, Australia. Keynote lecture. Session: Lower Plant Lipids
Panels and Committees:
- 2015 Teagasc Technology Foresight 2030: A Vision for Transforming Irish Agri-Food and Bioeconomy. Member of the crop biotechnology expert panel. 9 months project, Teagasc Dublin.
- 2014 Chair of a HCERES evaluation committee. Research unit: Membrane biogenesis laboratory - UMR 5200, CNRS, University of Bordeaux.
- 2013 -17 Member of PhD students evaluation committee. Biogenesis, dynamics and homeostasis of membrane lipid Unit, CEA Grenobl
PhD viva examiner:
- 2016 Swedish University of agricultural sciences, SLU, Alnarp. Development of Lepidium campestre into a new oil and catch crop.
- 2016 University of Grenoble. Glycerolipid metabolism and regulation in Phaeodactylum and tricornutum and Nannochloropsis gadianta
- 2015 University of Bordeaux. Export mechanisms and importance of fatty alcohols in Arabidopsis thaliana suberin
- 2014 Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA) Versailles, Caractarisation d'un nouveau membre du complexe d'longation des acides gras chez Arabidopsis thaliana: interactions metaboliques et regulation developpementale.
- 2011 University of Bordeaux. Etude de CER1, le genecle de la biosynthase des alcanes cuticulaires chez Arabidopsis thaliana
- 2008 University of Bordeaux. Contribution latitude de la biosynthase des cires cuticulaires chez Arabidopsis thaliana; Role du gene Eceriferum 1
- 2005 University of Seville. Fijacian y estudio de la nueva laanea medio palma¬tico CAS-7. Caracterizacian de las enzimas intraplastidiales, delta-9 y delta-15 desaturasas y la ferredoxina de girasol (Helianthus Annuus)